Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Connections: AT&T's Vision of the Future (Part 7, 1993)

With concepts like "linking to the Education Center in Washington, D.C." AT&T clearly had ideas about the infrastructure of the Internet that didn't quite pan out.

Part 7 of the 1993 video Connections: AT&T's Vision of the Future gives us a glimpse of a computer-centered classroom where kids can learn at their own pace, thanks to digital teachers.



See also:
Connections: AT&T's Vision of the Future (Part 1, 1993)
Connections: AT&T's Vision of the Future (Part 2, 1993)
Connections: AT&T's Vision of the Future (Part 3, 1993)
Connections: AT&T's Vision of the Future (Part 4, 1993)
Connections: AT&T's Vision of the Future (Part 5, 1993)
Connections: AT&T's Vision of the Future (Part 6, 1993)
The Road Ahead: Future Classroom (1995)

8 comments:

Dr. Fortyseven said...

Hey, they're using the giant desktop edition of the Nintendo DS!

Anonymous said...

Waitasec - I thought that Lily wasn't getting married for a year...

Anonymous said...

These videos are fantastic! As a child of the 80s, I was at a crucial point in my development in the cultural minute surrounding the release of the Internet and the promises of "Cyberspace" that is illustrated so well here and in the "You Will" ad. Deep down, I crave to live in this world, with its wonderfully refined tacky aesthetic and streamlined technological nonsense.

I clearly remember flipping through this issue of Time at eight years old and jonesing to fly through the virtual reality network that it was promising me.

Thanks for these blasts from the past! :)

Anonymous said...

Graham - you must check out this web comic. It hit me right in the middle of where I live, and I suspect you'll feel the same.
http://www.e-sheep.com/almostguy/

Anonymous said...

Again, with 100% more link fixage:

The Guy I Almost Was

Anonymous said...

Rob,

Shouldn't you be busy underwriting?

Anonymous said...

Back in 1997 a teacher made us watch this whole video in a university class in mexico, we were all laughing and he was dead serious that all this stuff was going to be true.
After watching the 7 clips right now, I can't even send an email without feeling like I'm part of that cast of awful actors.

Anonymous said...

nice post, it's really interesting for me today, thx