Thursday, July 12, 2007

Spaceport of the Future (1957)


For those of you who haven't yet checked out Plan59, I highly recommend it. The site has some amazing images of the paleo-future such as this Spaceport of the Future, as well as other vintage ephemera.

I know I've seen this image somewhere but I can't place it. Any idea where this image was originally used? I almost want to say that it has a Ford Motor Company connection.

See also:
Space Colony Pirates (1981)
Mars and Beyond (1957)
Challenge of Outer Space (circa 1950s)
Welcome to Moonbase (1987)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It seems similar to the US Steel paintings that Syd Mead made early in his career.

artbot said...

I looked for my copy of the US Steel Concepts book, but I think it's still packed away. This looks like Mead, though, but very early in his career, possibly even while still at Art Center.

Anonymous said...

The illustration is from the circa 1957 booklet "Styling at Ford Motor Company." - David @ Plan59

Anonymous said...

... and the artist's name (James R. Powers) is in the caption under the picture. There's an article about him in the Feb 2002 issue of Collectible Automobile. - David @ Plan59

Arkonbey said...

That's fabulous. Catching a smoke before a flight...

I can't help noticing that the anatomy of his right leg is way off.

Anonymous said...

this would make a really great background.
1440x900 plz. Kthx.