Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Gigantic Robots to Fight Our Battles (Fresno Bee, 1934)


The article "Gigantic Robots, Controlled by Wireless, to Fight Our Battles," from the April 29, 1934 Fresno Bee (Fresno, California) was exceptionally sensationalistic.

Professor [Felix Gaston] Gauthier disclosed in his address that two pacifistic-minded nations are today secretly (and supposedly unknown to each other) planning to construct gigantic fighting robots, controlled by wireless.

"These mechanical soldiers," declared Professor Gauthier, "will be of unexampled proportions. My informants, whose authentic statements I have never had reason to question before, have conveyed to me the startling news that each of these nations hopes some day to build robots 1,000 feet high!"


See also:
Mammy vs Robot (Charleston Gazette, 1937)
Donald Duck's "Modern Inventions" (1937)
All's Fair at the Fair (1938)

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

HA,HA. One day they will build a robot tall enough to destroy the world!!(Insane laughter)

Anonymous said...

They got the "fighting robot" part right, just got the scale wrong.

And why is that bot beating up the Tin-man?

Anonymous said...

I want that illustration on a poster.

Anonymous said...

Did you say EVA? Cuz I heard sumone said EVA!

Anonymous said...

How silly. Giant robots only become strategically neccesary in response to the widespread use of M Particle weapons. :D

(Scariest. Wikipedia. Article. Ever.)

Anonymous said...

I've always said that when the time comes, the USA will deploy transformable aircraft and Japan will deploy giant robots...

adolfojrodriguez said...

Hahaha, very interestin this fakes in past. Friend, I've linked your interesting blog in mine one cos' i'll come back.

Excuse my basic english,

Saludos

Anonymous said...

Interesting that having built futuristic 1000ft high robots they are equipped to fight each other with ancient technology like the ball and chain.

Greg said...

I really want a large print of this page.

Claudius said...

I think that guy wasn't totally crazy... at least that's what I think after watching this video:

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWBKSO4DvWk

Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wfSHV4zYMw

Giant WW2 robots rule!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm going to be thinking about Black Sabbath's "Iron Man" all day now ... thanks a lot, PF.